Frankjopan castle: Bakar | Frankopan castle and the surrounding fisherman villages is worth more than a visit. The village lies at the place of the Roman Volcera. From the 15de centuries up to 1778 the property belong to the Frankopans, which built here in 1530 a triangular castle. The castle has been well kept remained. The high windows have been preserved during the construction work for the family Subic-Zrinski, which lived here after the Frankopans. According to some sources the Frankopans had their own tower in Stara Susica, which has not been taken during the Turkish occupation by the Turks. In the 19 th century the castle property became property of earl Laval Nugent. Afterwards the castle was sold to the brothers Neuberger, who rebuilt it in the romantic style.
Kamerlengo castle and San Marco tower: Trogir | In the south West of the island Trogir lies the Kamerlengo castle, in former days the residence of the Venetians governor. The Venetians let it build in approximately 1430. The building with four sides has turned to the sea. High walls link the three towers and the ball work. In former days the impressive construction work had been linked with the San Marco tower (Kula svetog Marka). The large open space in the castle is now used for air shows and concerts in the summer. The San Marco tower was just built after the castle and show the typical characteristics of a maintaining defence work from the Renaissance. The canons on top of the tower were ready to defend the water between the island and the main land. The former exercise area between the castle and the tower is now used as a municipal sport field.
Castle of the family Soardo Bembo: Bale | This Gothic-renaissance castle from the 15th centuries was in former days the residence of the family Soardo Bembo.
Castle of Kraljevica | The old city (Stari Grad) shows a castle that dates from the 16 th century and has been built by the dukes of Subic-Zrinski. Within the castle walls also stand the small Nicolaas church. Around the castle a village arose, inhabited by families from the old village Hreljin.
Castle of Svetvincenat | This castle (13 th century) is one of the remained citadels of the region. It belong to the Venetian families Castropola, Morosini and Grimani. In 1589 the Grimani's gave the architect Scamozzi task to rebuild one of the two square towers to a governors residence. High walls link the other two round towers and enclose a large promenade.
Castle of Trsat: Rijeka | This holy place gives entrance to the remains of a castle which has been built by the Roman for the defence of Tarsatica. In the 13 th century Trsat became property of the Frankopans, which built here a another castle. In the 19th century this other castle was bought and restored by the Austrian general Laval Nugent, which lived there and eventually is buried here. From this castle you have a nice view at the Kvarner-golf bay.
Castle Tvrdalj: Stari Grad | The centre of Stari Grad is dominated by the castle Tvrdalj, the reinforced residence of Petar Hektorovic. The castle has a salt water pond. In the fort an ethnographic collection has been categorised. Hektorovic, a humanist poet, built the fort round 1520. Hektorovic was the author of the poem ' Ribanje i ribarsko prigovaranje ' (fish and the fisherman conversation), in which he does report of a fish excursion around the island Hvar, Brac and Solta.
Mother castle: Kastela | This castle (Kastel Gomilica) was built on an island, but now this island has been linked to the mainland.
New castle: Kastela | Of the new castle (Kastel Novi) only the tower and the Rochuschurch, which has been built by the family Cipiko, remains.
Old castle: Kastela | The old castle (Kastel Stari) just looks the way as in former days, the sea side looks like a palace with its Gothic windows.
St.Joris castle: Kastela | The Saint Joriscastle (Kastel Sucurac), the summer residence of the bishop of Split, arose at the end of the 14 th century and in the next century it have been reinforced with walls.
Vergotini castle: Vrsar | This is actually the cultivated former bishop residence. Near the remained poort in the medieval walls stand the small Antonius church. The church has an open porticus.
Vitturi castle: Kastela | The Vitturi castle (Kastel Luksic) was converted to large villa and only kept the external structure. The family Vitturi gave a statue of Juraj Dalmatinac to the Rayneriuschurch.
Castle and Historic Museum of Istria: Pula | This star shaped castle with four bastions accommodates the historical museum of Istria. It was built in the 14 th century on the rests of the Roman capitolium. The walls which link the four towers, offer a beautiful view concerning the city. Nearby lies remains of a theatre(second century).
Back to top