The medieval city wall of Dubrovnik Croatia is the most beautiful hymn to peace and freedom. This puissant fixation built and completed through Centuries has a length of 1940 meters, up to a width of 4-6 meters and towards the sea with an average width of 2 meters. The walls enclose the old city core and permit each tourist a unique view to the old town of Dubrovnik. Old Dubrovnik built in the 13 th Century on a exact plan, with its renaissance walls and towers, with hundreds of famous public buildings, churches, houses and palaces can only be compared with Venice or Amsterdam.
Sights near Dubrovnik
Ploce (the inside town gate). This east entry to the town is under protection of St. Blazes,
the saint patron of Dubrovnik.
The town gate Pile - the west entry to the city. Constructed in the 16. Century.
The tower Minceta is dominating the city skyline. Several masters, like the famous Florentine
builder Michelozzo di Bartolomeo and the local builder of the renaissance, Juraj Dalmatinac,
constructed this powerful bastion with over 6 meters tall walls.
The tower Bokar, constructed in the 15 th century. Famous is the inscription on one tower stone: protects the city gate Pile. (NON BENE PRO TOTO LIBERTAS VENDITUR)
The tower Lovrijenac is situated all alone on a AURO - Freedom can not be sold for
37-meter high rock any gold of the world.
The bezel, above the Franciscan church portal, with the Pietá sculpture from the 15 th Century
is a work of the brothers Leonard and Petar Petrovic.
The main altar in the church of the St. Blazes with its gold-plated statue of St. Blazes holding the town model of Dubrovnik in his hand, dates back to the 15 th century.
The monastic library contains a treasure of books - more then 1200 old scripts, 137 original prints and 7 books with ancient church chorales.
The study room of the principle in the Rector palace with period furniture, images of old masters a numismatic collection, the original key of the city gates, signet, armorial bearing...etc
The famous old Theatre in Dubrovnik.
The old Franciscan pharmacy, built within the Franciscan convent in 1317, is still working today. It is regarded as one of the oldest pharmacies in Europe.
On every city gate and on the wall around the old town of Dubrovnik, there is a sculpture of St. Blazes, the saint of the city.
The Rector palace is the most important monument of Old Town Dubrovnik. It served as government building and residence of the principle during his term. The aristocratic and harmonically architecture of the palace shows attributes of the Gothic and Renaissance.
The small Onofrio fountain constructed 1438, made by the Neapolitan master Onofrio della Cava.
The cathedral of Dubrovnik was built in the 18. Century by the Italian builder Andrea
Buffalini from Urbano.
The Palace Sponza was constructed in the 16. Century, in gothic and renaissance style, by local builder
Paskoje Milicevic and the brothers Andrijic from Korcula. At the time of the republic the palace served as Customs Office, the Mint, the Central Bank and the Treasury.
The arc of the atrium in the Palace Sponza bears an inscription where the scale was once located: FALLERE NOSTRA VETANT; ET FALLI PONDERA; MEQVE PONDERO CVM MERCES; PONDERAIPSE DEVS : Our scale permits no fraud. When I cradle the ware, God is cradling myself.
The Franciscan convent, once the centre of culture and art in Dubrovnik.
The monument of the freedom poet, Ivan Gundulic, from 1892 crafted by the
Croatian sculptor Ivan Rendic. The pedestal is decorated with a sculpture from the
famous Gundulic epic "Osman".
The Orlando pillar is a symbol of Dubrovnik's freedom.
The Gunduliceva Poljana square is surrounded by stone houses and transforms in daytime to a pictorial market place. During the Summer Festival, this square is serving as an open sky stage.
The Luza square, a unique ambient, surrounded by famous buildings of the city council and churches, a central point of the public life and the centre of most important celebrations in town.
Back to top